Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Recipe sharing!

Oops it's been a while since we've blogged!  You'd think that with two of us blogging it would be more frequent.  We've been busy doing things like watching the Broncos win.  Can't wait for this Sunday's game!

(this pic is not from Sunday's game…  It's from last year.  But still relevant)

Today I wanted to share some recipes that we've been enjoying over the past week here in Denver.  I work a lot and often until later in the evening, so I am always looking for recipes that don't take much time and make good leftovers.  I've got a couple for you today: one that makes good leftovers and one that is fast and easy for weeknight dinners (or busy weekends).

  • First, the quick weeknight dinner that you can still feel great about eating.  This meal is pretty simple - I made it tonight and it involved very little work.  Plus, it looks beautiful!
  • Yogurt baked chicken with asparagus and blueberry salad
  • First, make your chicken using this recipe: World's Best Baked Chicken.  Then make some asparagus (I chopped off the ends of these, put them in a dish with olive oil, salt and pepper, and baked for 12 minutes at 375 degrees.  Finally, make a salad of spring greens, blueberries, chopped pecans, and your favorite dressing (I used some raspberry balsamic vinaigrette that I found at the farmer's market this summer that is to die for).  And voila!  A quick, healthy and beautiful dinner that we enjoyed AND felt good about eating.

  • Next, good leftovers.  We don't usually like to buy our lunches out during the week to try to eat healthier and save some money.  This recipe is perfect to throw in the crockpot on Sunday morning and have for leftovers for lunches (or dinners) all week.  It's simple and healthy!
  • Slow Cooker Turkey Chili (from here)
  • 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
  • large onion, chopped
  • garlic clove, minced
  • (1.25-oz.) envelope chili seasoning mix
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
  • red bell pepper, chopped
  • green bell pepper, chopped
  • (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
  • (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed (I usually do 2 cans)
  • (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Toppings: shredded cheese
  • Cook first 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until turkey crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Spoon mixture into a 5 1/2-qt. slow cooker; stir in corn and next 7 ingredients until well blended.
  • Cook at HIGH 4 to 5 hours or at LOW 6 to 8 hours. Serve with desired toppings
  • Let me know if you make either of these!  Hopefully you will enjoy them as much as we do!

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to comment on this last week, but I am so glad you shared the chicken recipe because I keep losing it! But Meagan and I are definitely going to make it in the next week or so. So good...you know my thoughts on chili. enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The turkey chili sounds so good... I'll definitely have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy - definitely let me know what you think if you try it! Hope all is well!

      Delete